Sunday, December 12, 2010

Big Boy Symphony

So I'm known as an "educational" composer. Means I write good music for student musicians and that it's pedagogically sound. I'm cool with that, as I'm good at it.

But, sometimes a composer has to write what he/she WANTS to write. A piece that will build craft while giving satisfaction to the innate need to create.  I've just started such a piece, my first symphony. OK, I've written three symphonies already, but this is the first one written in what I would guess some historian a hundred years from now will term "his mature style," meaning that it's written for professional level performance.  And it's totally different than what I usually write.

It's fun writing for yourself every now and then, but don't worry, I won't let all this atonality and aleatory go to my head.  I'll be writing a grade 1 string orchestra piece before you know it....

Stay warm out there! It's -10 here in KC with this nasty arctic wind!

Jef