Friday, February 28, 2014

To begin again, anew.

It's tough sometimes, to remember what it's like to feel the rush of something new.  That exhilarating thrill of "Wow! I want to try that!"

I've been at our state MEA Convention (Music Educators Association) for the past couple days and I can honestly say that I have been inspired.  Not only by the very fine concerts I've attended (I heard some amazing bands, choirs, and orchestras), but also by the sessions given by my peers and guests from across the country.

I'm often asked to give sessions while I'm guest conducting at an event (all-state or regional orchestra conventions).  It's a lot of work to prepare these sessions, so when I'm able to attend one (or three), it's a  pleasure to just sit and ABSORB.  Too often we teach in a vacuum, surrounded by only our students and, if we're lucky, some great colleagues on the music staff.  To be able to attend sessions where you are given great information that make you want to get back to the classroom as soon as possible, well, that's a little piece of heaven, thank you very much.

Sometimes it's the littlest ideas that give you the biggest push.  And I'm thankful for my colleagues that have helped me renew and revitalize my teaching as we head into the busiest part of the school year for us music teachers.  It's time to begin (again).

I wish you peace and a little bit of rejuvenation,

Jeffrey