Monday, February 14, 2011

Great Work Indeed

My high school orchestras will join our choirs in presenting our annual "Great Works" concert tomorrow evening, Tuesday, February 15th.  In addition to a mass by DeLibes and Bach's Cantata No. 4, the choir will be premiering my newest choral work.

Tonight was the dress rehearsal, and I have to say that I was just blown away by the choir's performance.  Normally I don't get too awfully worked up, but I shed a few tears tonight.  THAT is why I write music: to reach that special place, deep down inside a person, that says "this music is here to make your life, however brief it may last, a little bit better, a little more hopeful."

Every now and then I have to be reminded how humbling it is to be a composer, to be a purveyor of time, emotion, and sound.  I am the luckiest man alive, right now, right here.

Namaste,

Jef