Friday, February 4, 2011

Western Kansas Orchestra Festival Commission

The Western Kansas Orchestra Festival has commissioned me to write a new piece to be premiered under my direction in November.  Drawing from the western parts of Kansas (duh!), the festival features two high school orchestras, along with middle school ensembles.

I will be conducting the commissioned piece along with one of my old standards, "Declarations."

I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to write for the festival, as it has a reputation for having commissioned some really nice educational pieces.  Matt Means, professor of violin at Fort Hays State University, and Michael Harbaugh, director of school orchestras in Beloit, are two amazing individuals whose tireless work has really made an impact on hundreds, if not thousands, of students' music educations.  Because of them, I'm happy to be a part of this year's festival.

It's going to be a lot of fun!

Peace,

Jef