Sunday, November 14, 2010

Goddard: Blast and Bust(ed) & Dark Helmet's Evil Twin?

Had a great time this weekend doing a couple gigs near Wichita, KS!

On Thursday evening, I had the opportunity to conduct the Goddard High School Orchestras in a performance of "Declarations" and also managed to talk their director, Ms. Marla Weber, into letting me conduct one of my favorite pieces , "Incantations" by Richard Meyer.  The kids played great and it was an awful lot of fun to have a "photo op and autograph session" post-concert.  It was a major bummer, however, that we didn't get a chance to have a clinic the next day!  It seems that a water main broke near the high school that night so we couldn't get into the building!

So, Goddard folks, I owe you one!  I'm also hoping they'll consider a commission for their orchestra - those kids can play! And the string program in town is only 10 years old! Very impressive, indeed.

On Saturday I conducted the Pioneer League Junior High Honors Orchestra in Haysville, KS.  Good group. Well-prepared, too. We ended up doing all five pieces of the "to be selected from" list, so that was cool.  Best line from the gig, though, was from a little dude in the violin section. As they were walking into the performance, and he didn't realize I was standing right behind him, he said to his friend, "No, really. He looks just like Dark Helmet from 'Space Balls!'" I wondered who he was talking about then it dawned on me: he was talking about ME! Hilarious! And, if memory serves me correctly, I think he's right: Rick Moranis had those big nerdy glasses like mine, and let's face it, I'm short!

Dark Helmet
Dork Composer

So, for all of you who know me and have thought over the years that I was in fact some kind of evil overlord, it turns out to be true: but I'm not a Sith Lord, I'm a Dork Lord!

Gotta love what comes out of the mouths of adolescents....

Jef