Sunday, November 21, 2010

Short Week

Two days of school this week. And then a nice long break.

I'll be putting finishing touches on a new commission for Franklin Middle School in Wheaton, Illinois. They're big fans of "Orange Jam" so I've written them a sequel of sorts called "Pink Highlights."  Cool story behind the name (besides keeping with my "color" music): their director keeps a pink highlighter in the front of the room and when a student misses a part too many times they're required to mark it with the highlighter. It is affectionately known as "the pink highlighter of shame." Classic! Now THAT'S a cool idea!

Hmm, let's see, other Turkey Day events? Oh, yeah: FOOD! And lots of it!  I'll be heading home to Iowa while my in-laws descend on KC.  My folks and I will eat some good food, do a little shopping, and mostly just enjoy each others' company as I've not been home in several months.  I'll take the Viola and the Kindle and a sketchpad in case anything should happen to strike me while I'm up there.  It's been known to happen. Some of my best ideas were born in Atlantic, Iowa.

I've got a good idea going for a new choral piece that we'll perform on our annual "Great Works" concert in February.  Since we have so many girls enrolled in choir at my school, I'm writing a piece for SATB choir with orchestra AND antiphonal treble voices.  I'm thinking of doing some cool things with stereo effects (the girls spread out around the auditorium during the performance or whatnot).  We'll see...

So, if you don't see any postings, don't be too worried about me. I'm probably just suffering from post-tryptophan coma.  I'll wake up soon enough and will be back after it!

If you're traveling, be safe out there!  And, while you're at it, count your blessings.  It's a great time of year to take inventory of all that for which we're thankful.  And you, loyal readers, are counted among mine.

Peace,

Jef