Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Practice, Practice, Practice....

In addition to composing, I do try to get some practice in on my instruments just to remind me how bad I really am at playing them! Ugh!

Although, I have to admit, even though I may not be the solo artist that I'd love to be, I do enjoy practicing. What? Enjoy PRACTICING? I know, I know....don't shoot! It's true.

Tonight was especially enjoyable. I took my viola in to Beckmann Violin Shop (a FANTASTIC luthier here in KC) to get a new bridge cut for her (that's right - HER - my viola's name is Betsy, thank you very much), and Ken (Mr. Beckmann, owner of the aforementioned shop) let me borrow one of the instruments he recently made. WOW! How cool is that? To be able to play an instrument crafted by one of the world's best living instrument makers?  Now THAT'S pretty freakin' cool!

Now, did I do that fine instrument justice? Probably not. But it sure was fun just to practice on it!

So, if you'll excuse me, I've got some work to do....

Jef